You are currently viewing Student Leadership Team 2019-2020

Student Leadership Team 2019-2020

The Student Leadership Team

NES is proud of the impact Sixth Form students make in and around the school community. Each year, the New English School appoints a Head Boy and Head Girl, Deputy Head Boy and girl, supported by a team of 25 prefects. We also have a Peer-to peer learning coordinator, Chair of the Social Committee, Secretary General of the MUN, Head of The Tareq Rajab Docent Programme, CEO of Ecotude and an Editor of The Print (school magazine). 

Head Girl and Head Boy – Ranna Kisswani and Nachiket Dighe

Having the position of Head Girl and Head Boy, you are responsible for representing the New English School at a variety of school events, including multiple being held throughout the year. Head Boy and Head Girl portray vital roles as school leaders. These two are the people the Secondary Management Team will turn to when looking for any help required. They run Student Voice alongside Mr Marchant whilst they provide and set standards for the school. In order to possess the role of Head Boy and Girl, you should feel confident and comfortable talking to numerous students and giving public speeches as well as having good organisational and communication skills. Other important characteristics one must have to be Head Girl or Head Boy in the New English School are having a reputation as an excellent role model for the students, being mature and having a good outlook.

Usually the Head Girl and Head Boy organise and plan regular meetings, encourage students to join school activities and events, share students ideas throughout the school year and much more.  

Nachiket Dighe- Head Boy

“I plead guilty of a crime. My crime is simple in its nature; I have, over the last six years, from year 7 to 12, used up a far greater plethora of opportunities that this community had to offer (from singing baritone in choir to enjoying the breadth of 12 IGCSE subjects) than I could possibly give back. It is the repayment of this large debt that functioned as the fuel to becoming Head Boy, thus revolving around the principle of servitude. Keeping this notion in mind, I hope that through my actions as Head Boy, I become less guilty of the crime stated earlier. 

To achieve this goal, Ranna Kisswani, the Head Girl, and I (along with Mr. Marchant and Ms. Williams) have been working on reforming the Student Voice, a committee that we believe should undertake a more involved role in creating social value within the school community. As Head-Boy, I had also promised to lead the Engineering Club, with the introduction of the CREST Bronze Program for lower school students. So far, we have had our first introductory session with a whooping 22 students, a membership number that far exceeded our expectations. 

Personally, I think it is a challenging role, but certainly one where you are supported (especially when you have a reliable colleague like Ranna). It truly does test your organisational, and communication skills. Yet, the truly rewarding aspect of this role, as cliché as it sounds, is the satisfaction derived from completing the tasks that ought to be done at the end of the day.  

In the near future, I intend to pursue Mathematics and Physics, which would help develop the flexible analytical problem-solving skill set required for an array of occupations across industries. The said flexibility is of great value for someone like me who is not fixated on one career option.” 

Ranna Kisswani – Head Girl 

My reason for wanting to be Head Girl was nothing along the lines of leaving a legacy or adding to my CV for university; rather, a way for me to give back to the community I love and have gained from immensely. NES provided an outlet for me much like everyone else to thrive and become a budding young adult who I would like to hope a younger version of me would be proud of. I also wanted an opportunity to show students that anything is possible and help them understand with the right mentality they truly can achieve anything they set their minds to. 

Being Head Girl is rewarding, to say the least, especially with my ‘right hand man’- our Head Boy, Nachiket- being so dependable and a massive helping hand. Thus far, Nachiket and I have had the pleasure to work with Ms. Williams and Mr. Marchant on adding more to the Student Voice and making your experiences in school and your communication with them more fluid. The role in itself is an honour to have been given, and verbalising it into a set amount of characters seems nearly impossible. 

In terms of where I see the future going: as Head Girl, I hope for a more cohesive nature here in NES and having a bigger sense of family and comfort within school to absorb the plethora of opportunities offered to you alongside having an active, supportive and kind community who will grow into wonderful young adults. In terms of my personal life, I plan to study in America between a wide range of subjects from Political Science to English, which hopefully will become a Law degree or a PhD. All I know is that I plan to pursue the option that lets me help people the most. 

Good luck to all of you this year; may we have a prosperous year and, please, if you have any concerns or questions, feel free to reach out!

Deputy Head Girl  and Deputy Head Boy – Mia Holmes and Kerem Er

Deputy Head Girl Mia Holmes and Deputy Head Boy Kerem Er are in charge of all the prefects. This can be a challenging task, especially as they also help out with charity and events as well as support the Head Boy and Head Girl. The role of Deputy Head Girl and Boy is to represent the school and act as role models on a daily basis, including in school events- and sharing a passion and commitment to the New English School, ensuring that the school is a safe and secure place for all students.

Kerem Er

“Being the older brother, I have often found positions of responsibility and leadership quite appealing. I have always wanted to get a position that would grant me the responsibility and power to enact change in the school so that I could make the lives of students easier while also setting a good example to other students. I have been very lucky to have a Deputy Head Girl such as Mia to work with, as well as Ms Rowbotham to guide us during the first few weeks as we adjust to our roles. 

Overall, it is going well so far; the Prefect team has been established and their schedule finalised with issues being actively solved along the way. 

I, personally, want to pursue a future in making things happen which is why I am planning to become a mechanical/aerospace engineer and study in Europe/UK.” 

Mia Holmes 

“My reason behind applying for this position revolved around the idea of giving back to the school that has given so much to me. I have continuously looked up to all of those in the senior leadership team in previous years and set the aspiration to, one day, becoming a part of it. After being a prefect throughout year 12, I began to understand what it meant to represent the school and its title, and wished to continue to do so as I moved onto year 13. Seeing the hard work and dedication that went into programming the extensive system of prefects, I applied, with the hope and belief that I could add to this aspect of the school and aid in any way possible. 

To be truthful, the position of Deputy Head Girl so far has been a challenging and stressful change. However, I have already learnt so much about myself and others through taking on the role, all of which I’m immensely grateful for. Working alongside Kerem, Ms Rowbotham and the newly appointed prefect team has been a massively rewarding and exciting process- as I know first hand how this role can truly impact people’s lives for the better. 

In terms of future aspirations, I hope to go on to study Law and Psychology/Sociology at university in the UK, as I have always been interested in understanding society and its people alongside giving them a voice amongst others.” 

TRDP CO-HEADS  (TAREQ RAJAB DOCENT PROGRAMME) – AMISHI  SINGHAL AND FARIS ALSAYED

The TRDP is a well-respected programme that only New English School students are able to be a part of, representing the school proudly. This programme’s mission is to spread knowledge, both historical and cultural. The Heads of the TRDP should have confidence and good communication skills as they and the docents meet people from around the world who also share similar interests. Being a part of this programme, you’re considered a docent, or a ‘guide’, for the Tareq Rajab Museum.

Amishi Singhal – Co Head of the TRDP

“I wanted this position because of the summer I spent in Russia touring museums with a very talented tour guide. I loved the job she had- she got to talk about History for hours and people would be listening with rapt attention without yawning even once. TRDP seemed to be the perfect outlet to do just that. I loved being a part of the TRDP as a docent because I learnt to approach History in so many different ways and talk about it all with confidence. Leading the TRDP now gives me an opportunity to explore the past even more in-depth than I previously did. 

Being the head of a programme, even when you have a partner (Faris Al-Sayed) to equally share your responsibilities with, is challenging. It requires a lot of commitment and time management; both of which approach you at the speed of lightning and you are faced with untested waters. The first few weeks as co-head have been a learning experience and one I am sure I will remember. Nevertheless, I am really enjoying the position that I have been given and I hope to do it justice. 

With future aspirations, it is quite hard to fixate on just one because they always keep changing. I have wanted to be a doctor, a fashion designer, a singer and even a tour guide- all in the last few years. I have no clue as to what is about to happen in the future and I am still looking to find what I am truly passionate about and can also turn into a career. Most of all, one of my main future aspirations is to do something that will make my family proud. That is one aspiration that has probably never changed in the last few years.”

Faris Al-Sayed – Co Head of the TRDP

I first discovered the TRDP and the Tareq Rajab museums at the beginning of last year and I simply fell in love with it from the start. In it, I instantly saw potential where only the sky was the limit. The only programme of its kind in one of the only museums of their kind in all of Kuwait, what’s not to like about the Docent Program?

The one real reason why I wanted to be in this post, though, was to be able to offer a platform for people to discover their strengths in a field they never thought they could flourish in. I was given an opportunity to turn things around completely and reverse the impression I gave as someone with little aspiration to succeed; and I feel that I owe it to those who helped me get here to offer the same support to those who are in a similar position to where I was not so long ago. 

I don’t have a clear idea of where I want to go after my A-Levels; everyday I find a new topic of interest that intrigues me. A few ideas that have always stuck through would be, perhaps, pursuing a degree in Philosophy at university level, going to art school or studying urban design and planning. 

Editor of the Print- Karoul Riyad

Being a part of the leadership team is a huge responsibility that must be taken on with an open mind and a positive attitude. Each student involved in this team has shown that they are overall a well-rounded and worthy individual to represent the school. They have shown what it takes and take their responsibility roles very seriously. There are quite a few leadership roles around the school but as you get older, there are some more which are applicable to you. The first student to be mentioned is none other than the Editor of The Print, Karoul Riyad. Karoul has been a great role model to not only students who participate in The Print but also everyone around her. Her job requires a lot of planning and organising as she manages all sects of The Print to ensure that each issue is posted on a biweekly basis. This takes a lot of hard work and Karoul is able to manage all of that. 

“I wanted this position because I am passionate about words and bringing life to topics that may otherwise come across as bland- and that was a passion I wished to share with others (writers and readers alike). Being a part of the Print last year as an editor (and previously as a writer) has caused me to grow attached to the idea of NES having a magazine and it allowed me a place to put to practice my love for language. I also find editing articles and watching our writers grow (both as writers and as people) extremely rewarding. 

So far, being Editor of the Print has been a challenge, if I’m being honest. Ensuring that deadlines are met and that all the articles are up to par will never be easy, but I have faith that things will run more smoothly once we gain momentum. We have more writers and sub-editors this year than we did last year, all of whom seem to have a great deal of enthusiasm, and that is something I’m looking forward to channelling with them. I am also looking forward to working with my lovely Deputy, Areeba, who has been a great help thus far (and will continue to be); and I believe that, together, we can make something wonderful of the Print this year.

While I think it’s best that I don’t fixate myself on a particular job this early in life, I’d like to study linguistics at university. I chose this specific subject area because of my insatiable interest in words, word origins, phonetics, etc… I’ve also always wanted to study/ work in a field that one can never really ‘finish’ learning about. Language, in general, is constantly changing, and in today’s ever-connected world, effective communication can only grow in importance- thus, my field of study will always be relevant… I think it also helps that I’m a massive Sociology nerd- and that my fascination with words has spread into the field of Literature, as linguistics (or English language in general) can easily be combined with and applied to these subjects.”

Chair of Social Committee – Aysha Al Arfaj

Aysha is chair of the Social Committee. This means that she, along with her team, plan all the incredible school and charity events that we all partake in throughout the year, making sure they run efficiently and effectively. This takes lots of hard work as it is not easy to plan, organise and initiate an event that the whole school can take part in. 

“My interest in becoming the Chair of Social Committee started in year 10. I would continuously admire the creativity and organisational skills that took place behind the scenes of the events I would attend, which fueled my desire to join the team that produced them. Having had the delightful opportunity of being a major part of the Social Committee in year 12, my knowledge and love of the subject increased vastly, thus inspiring me to set my heart on becoming the Chair of this very community. It’s mainly the pleasure of witnessing students’ faces gleam during an event you created, followed by hearing them buzz about the night the next morning. This, along with the satisfaction of knowing that the money that you helped raise is being sent to benefit a multitude of charitable organisations, brings true fulfillment into my and all the other team members’ lives. 

The team for the year of 2019/2020 has only very recently been appointed; however, the planning for our future events is already underway! I am extremely delighted with the enthusiasm and cohesion being demonstrated by my team so far; it will truly be a delightful experience to lead them this year.

With regard to future aspirations, I plan to study biology in university. This is due to my utmost love of the subject, as well as the desire to move onto medical school after obtaining my undergraduate degree.” 

The Secretary General of the Model United Nations – Aliah Al Kazemi

The next person is Aliah Al Kazemi. Aliah has shown the school over the years that she would be a good fit to run the incredibly popular CCA, NES’s Model United Nations. This activity is difficult to run as she has to plan the conferences, deal with the trainors, and just make sure the CCA is running smoothly throughout the course of the year. 

“My passion for the MUN programme started in year 9. The ambience of the program itself enticed me, and that caused me to want this position so I could fuel the tenacious debate in myself but also for others. To be able to have a platform to channel all of the passion and ambition I have for the benefit of the program is the best thing I could ask for. In my previous MUN years, I climbed the ladder- first as a trainer and then as an executive under Aditya Argawal, the previous Secretary General. Working under him has taught me many skills, and this has allowed me to have a smoother transition into my leadership position. My executive team and I work alongside the trainers to help create a more immersive experience for all the delegates. As of now, we are in the process of training new additions to the programmes and refining those who have been in it previously. We plan on innovating MUN and truly allowing the student-led programme to shine to its fullest potential. Doing this, we want our delegates to have the best experience they possibly can. The programme is made by the delegates, hence it is our mission to highlight their talents and let them grow and flourish to the best they can possibly be. 

If I had to list my aspirations, the main one would be encouraging the diversity of the programme as well as creating a great conference for our delegates to get first hand experience of the simulation of MUN. I wish to grow the programme in such a way that it stays true to its authentic and communal origins. I plan to further this desire and love for debate and politics into my academic career and study political science in university so that I can integrate my passion with my career, which will hopefully further translate into a law degree.”

Peer to Peer Coordinator – Rahul Sunil

Rahul Sunil is the Peer to peer coordinator; he decides and manages who becomes a tutor and ensures they have a platform to engage on. 

“You know what? I’m not gonna lie. I genuinely don’t know what it is I like about teaching. Is it the fact that I’m in control? Maybe. Is it because everytime I walk in the class, I can hear students say “Yes! Rahul’s here!” Maybe. Is it the satisfaction I receive when students finally grasp a concept, and are able to answer questions which they weren’t able to just a few moments ago?. Maybe… I say it’s the latter.

When I first started tutoring last year, it was primarily for the selfish reason of reinforcing my IGCSE knowledge. However, as the year progressed, I started to subconsciously treat the students as my own. Whenever a student directly looked me in the eye and said, “Ohhh, I get it now” (or something of that nature), I kept getting a feeling I couldn’t even describe. It sounds weird and cliché, I know; but it is a feeling which cannot be described unless you experience it for yourself. Ask any teacher/tutor and they will agree. 

I’ve been in situations in the past where I struggled with a specific concept and fell far behind everyone else.  All my peers were able to grasp the concept, but not me, and I was always too scared to ask the teacher for help because I didn’t want to be the ‘misfit of my class’. So I just kept quiet, my confusion growing beyond limits. Being in scenarios like this really do take a toll on you mentally, and I don’t want any of my juniors to go through that. This programme ensures that the younger students can freely talk to older students about their academic struggles. Besides, it’s much easier to talk a slightly older student who has recently went through a similar experience than a teacher.

As of now, I am currently gathering tutors and placing their information on the NES tutors website for tutees to choose from. So if you’re struggling with a subject, feel free to head over to https://sites.google.com/neskt.org/nestutors/tutors and ask for help. 

As a person, I really enjoy physics and weightlifting. Naturally, you’d think I want to pursue engineering, but the idea of doing mechanical or electrical engineering doesn’t really appeal to me (partially because that’s what the majority of the population is majoring in). By no means am I saying that engineering is easy, because it’s not. All I’m saying is that I want to do something different. It’s very risky but I know that the end result will pay off. For my first year of university, I’ll be doing (or hope to be doing) mechanical engineering. I know it goes against everything I’ve said two lines ago, but this is just to build my foundation. By the time I reach my third year, I would like to go into a more specific field, perhaps by combining the idea of physics concepts into the biomechanics of weight training.” 

CEO of Ecotude – Abdelrahman Hafez

“Ecotude was a business I helped create from the simple idea of making a profit from recycling, which was then developed into an intricate and fully implementable business plan. After a long year of planning and moving, this year was the time for fully operating the business. As a result, I was determined to get the CEO position to further drive my vision and make Ecotude’s potential a reality. In addition, I am a strong advocate of helping fight climate change and the daily maintenance of our general environment which goes in line with Ecotude’s business targets and the implementation of the UN’s 11th goal of sustainable cities. The CEO position also enables me to publicize and normalize the idea of recycling until it becomes a healthy habit for all NES students’  homes and, hopefully, Kuwait as a whole in the future. We also aim to use our profits to rejuvenate our immediate environments, starting with Jabriya Park. Currently, I have recruited the main coordinators and they will be briefed about Ecotude and how it will run, and work to recycle various recyclables- but the focus will mainly be on plastic. We hope to make a profit by effectively marketing the business with methods such as a newly emerging website, notice board, competitions and many more incentives. 

In terms of future aspirations, I’ve always been in love with the sciences- namely chemistry and biology, as I am fascinated by the complex processes happening before our very eyes, which leads me to bearing a strong interest in studying medicine. I have chosen Canada as my destination of study as my family is there and I am able to receive government support throughout, which will truly aid me on my path to becoming a doctor. Additionally, I am a very compassionate and empathetic person, and helping others in need has always motivated me to be appreciative of what I have, and in the process, making me feel happy and content. Through medicine, I can help thousands of people in a very short amount of time- and that cannot satisfy me more.”