You are currently viewing My Head Girl Experience

My Head Girl Experience

What’s it like being Head Girl?

Being Head Girl comes with a plethora of duties. As a figurehead of the school, a big part of my duties revolve around upholding the rules of the school as stated in the Code of Conduct. I wear my uniform properly and neatly, I abide by the one way system, I am in school on time- you know the whole lot. However, I also have extra duties, such as showing parents around the school or welcoming guests. Moreover, I often help out with school events like The Spring Bazaar and Speech Day. A lot of the duties take hard work and can, at times, be tiring- but it always proves worth it. Notably mentioned is the fact I do have to keep my grades up and perform well in school because academics are always the priority! Aside from my technical duties, however, there is a lot more to being Head Girl than simply what is in the description of the job.

As Head Girl, I often put the wants and needs of my peers before my own. I like thinking of solutions and helping my peers with their problems. I am a ‘people person’. I soundboard the concerns of members of the student body either through Student Voice or through the projects Nachiket and I bring to life. Being Head Girl means being present in the moment. I will admit, in the 6th Form, it is easy to get caught up in the Common Room and ignore the other aspects of school, so I make sure I spend break times in the playground and get to know the students who make up the school I love so much. It is enjoyable walking through the playground with my warm thermos of coffee in hand and my scarf wrapped around me  as I see many of the year 7’s and 8’s playing games of tag and kicking water bottle caps. I often stop in my tracks and envy their energy and their excitement. The same goes for my conversations with students of various years that make me nostalgic for those days… This makes me miss school even more, looking back… You feel grounded and remember that you can learn so much from those younger than you. On that note, a big part of the job is communication and learning to be slightly assertive- and this is, at times, the hardest part of the job. It’s not always easy putting yourself out there and taking action. However, it is rewarding in the times where you pick up a piece of rubbish and see other students following in that direction. My role enables me to help out across other fronts and help as many people as I can. Nothing can compare to the excitement of when a student will come up to me and ask me for advice on something; it warms my heart to know that I can be a help to so many kind students who have the drive to do great things. I sometimes can get rundown when the workload goes overboard, but it feels more than worth it at the end of the day when I see everyone smiling and dancing at Sports Day or having a good time at the Spring Bazaar. Being Head Girl is so much more than following the rules; it is the willingness to help others out and want to make improvements to the wonderful community we have here at NES. Being Head Girl is not about having the name or the ‘gravitas’, but about wanting to be there for all of your peers. 

For many of my years at NES since I joined, I’ve always looked up to the Head Girls. Whenever I felt lonely or demotivated, I looked at these successful and empowered girls and had a lot more faith in myself. They reminded me that I could do anything and that was the most helpful on my darker days. I knew I wanted to perpetuate that and help build an environment where there are less ‘darker days’, but also where younger girls can look at me and feel more motivated and even empowered. Being Head Girl is so much more than expected; it’s about the bigger picture of the people around you- being there for them in any way and still doing the best you can. 

That is what it’s really like being Head Girl- and for all those considering it, I really recommend you try applying, as the experience that comes from it is one of a kind. I love this school- and that is what the role is all about, thus, I am truly glad to have taken on this role for you. I am more than proud to have been your Head Girl this academic year and hope I made you all proud in the process.