You are currently viewing A Note From The Editorial Team

A Note From The Editorial Team

Karoul, Editor-in-Chief

“We’re all mad here.” […] “But let me tell you a secret. All the best people are.”

-Alice in Wonderland

The Print, ‘cheesy’ as it may sound, is more than a school magazine; it’s a place for nerds with weird and wonderful interests and energies to get together and create beautiful (and sometimes beautifully bizarre) things- out of words. I couldn’t help but enjoy myself in writers’ meetings when a student would come up with an article idea that was so out of the blue (at least, to me) that it would smack me right in the face. Many times, I would find myself totally astonished at the hybrid byproduct of intelligence and enthusiasm that would totally take over the room, but even that can’t compare to how proud I’d feel of our writers as I edited their articles and noticed improvements. 

I, personally, am of the belief that school magazines are about a lot more than just how many issues were published; they are also about the development of their teams’ characters and writing. And if you have a look around our website, you will start to notice trends in each writer’s work- some even have their own ‘brand’, a unique combination of a writing style and topic. 

That said, it is challenging to ‘run’ such a CCA, although incredibly rewarding. The progress of our writers and the inspiration that they have been to me aside, a natural part of the job is to learn from these extraordinary people I wouldn’t have otherwise met. From true crime stories to new gadgets, species of ant I didn’t know existed and the rules of vexillology (just to name a few), this experience was a lot more mind-broadening than I ever thought it could be. And to imagine I could have walked past these students and scrolled through their articles without a second glance! 

With that in mind, I’d like to offer a genuine and heart-felt thank you to our magnificent team of writers for being who they are and for submitting the work they have.

Likewise, thank you to our readers! Your support and feedback throughout the year has been a great source of encouragement and growth. I hope that you all continue to read the Print and catch up on articles you may have missed in the past; nothing keeps the mind alive like a good read.

I hope you all stay safe and enjoy your summer!

Best wishes,

Karoul

Areeba, Deputy Editor 

I have been a part of The Print since I joined NES in year 9, which happened to be the same year The Print went digital. I think back to how The Print functioned and dealt with going off of paper to being exclusively digital and am amazed by how far the CCA has come and how much it has achieved under the leadership of many. Going from a simple writer to being part of the editorial team and finally to working alongside Carol (“Karoul”) to run the CCA has been a journey in itself; I have experienced being in The Print in different positions and have loved it every single time. Carol and I had personal goals for The Print this year that we have achieved, even though we had to deal with the pandemic and not physically being in school, but that’s the beauty of a magazine that is run digitally: we were lucky enough to still be able to adapt and make sure our writers’ work was published and create content that kept the students interested in spite of losing their normal routine. It goes without saying that this CCA would not exist without our writers, who have always managed to surprise us with their unique ideas and well-written articles, and our editorial team who have polished every single article before publishing it- and, of course, the readers who actually visit the website and support the CCA. The Print is not just an online magazine, but a way for students to express their individuality and connect with their peers. It is more than just a student lead e-newspaper. I will forever miss the editorial meetings and the writers meetings, seeing the metaphorical light bulbs pop up above the writers’ heads or sometimes even the lack of participation on a tired Wednesday afternoon, but most of all, I will miss seeing new faces in our growing team and more writers participating every year. It is amazing how many creative ideas the students can come up with and I really hope that their creative energy sticks with them as they grow up to become powerful individuals. I owe a lot to The Print, from friendships to learning new skills,I will forever remember this part of my life.